sunnyday

I am addicted to sunny days. The ones where you walk outside and the sunshine hits you... and you just can't help smiling... welcome to the world of the happy pixie!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

La Bohème, Sydney

I've never been a huge fan of opera. I was almost scarred for life by a school excursion to Hansel & Gretel. However, Simon Phillips' version of Puccini's La Bohème has changed my view on that...

Firstly, despite being a true Melbourne girl, it is hard not to get excited by being in the Opera House, looking over the water at night to the Harbour Bridge.

Secondly, the opera itself was amazing. The sets were simple, but very effective; the costumes were... modern; the orchestra was good and the singers, not that I know anything about singing, sounded great to me!

Finally, I love the fact that opera can get away with ridiculous story lines. For example, in the first act, Mimi visits her neighbour Rodolfo to get help relighting her candle. His goes out too, she loses her house key and then suddenly, they're declaring their love for each other! Maybe I'm not enough of a romantic to believe in love-at-first-sight-in-the-dark. And I guess 2 hours of singing isn't enough to develop a romance. But still, opera gets away with it.

Thanks for the ticket Mel!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home