sunnyday

I am addicted to sunny days. The ones where you walk outside and the sunshine hits you... and you just can't help smiling... welcome to the world of the happy pixie!

Monday, November 28, 2005

London

... or more accurately, Stevenage and Watton-at-Stone.

To be honest, I wasn't expecting my time in London to be as eventful as it was. I arrived extremely annoyed, as passport control had taken 30 minutes and the official was downright rude and intimidating. I can see now why they have to put up a sign warning people about being arrested for assault. I'm guessing they're aiming to scare people who are trying to sneak into the country, but really, they could be a little politer about it...

Anyway, I was very very happy to see R and L there. And I was very quickly drawn into a night of intrigue... R had enlisted L, his mother and grandmother into an elaborate scheme to keep my arrival a secret from W. R and his mother were supposed to be at a craft fair, L was going to cook dinner for them all that night. To be honest, I'm really quite impressed about the amount of effort put into it... there were about 5 different plans about what we'd do when we finally got to R's house. In the end, he went in first, got W downstairs while I hid outside (in the rain!). Then, R opened the front door, put the light on upstairs and that was my signal to come inside and surprise him. And he was surprised... but I think more annoyed that he'd been 'betrayed' by so many people! He only slightly suspected, as people had been acting strangely that day... L had rung up and asked how R liked tomatoes, then hung up; R had cleaned the cooktop; etc.

But the scheming didn't end there... we went out to dinner at the good old Three Horseshoes, but just as we were about to leave, J (who we used to work with) arrived. Then on the way, we stopped and R jumped out of the car ('to drop something off I think', L said) and came back with 'Stella' J. All surprised out, we had a fantastic dinner there (nachos of course, and lamb shank). It was strange being back there. Not quite as good as I expected, since I didn't really know anyone there at all. Still, it did bring back memories...

The next day was spent watching the video of K & B's wedding, visiting people for cups of tea and wandering around garden centres / fish shops. We had a nice small lunch at another McMullens pub, then R left me at M's. I felt a little bad, b'cos I couldn't help gawking at M's house before I even said hello to her. she had done an amazing job of transforming it into a more 'Australian' house, with a large open-plan kitchen, big light, breezy rooms and lots of white walls... it looked wonderful!

We chatted about house plans, life & family (V is so mature and responsible for an 11 year old!), had a roast for dinner (I love parsnip chips!), then went to the George and Dragon for dessert. But the real excitement started when we got home. It turned out that M only had the back door key, which couldn't be used while a key was in the lock from the inside. She ran down to the neighbour's to pick up a spare key, only to find that that was also a back door key. I climbed onto the 'balcony' to get through her bedroom, but that was locked. Then we tried to break in by smashing a window with a rock and using a credit card on the front door. Finally, we had to give up and call a locksmith. Those people make it look so easy...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home